Monday, April 16, 2012

A Love So Loud- Stay Kind.

     Before I get started on this, I want everyone to know that I think human beings are amazing. Think about all of the things that we've invented with the materials around us. I'm typing on my MacBook Pro and my Apple iPhone because of Steve Jobs. I can see what I'm doing in a dark room thanks to Thomas Edison and his invention of the light bulb. We can talk on the telephone because of Alexander Graham Bell. And then there are people like Blake Mycoskie, the inventor of Toms shoes, who use their talents to give back to people in need. Like I said, people are truly amazing.
     I've been thinking about this a lot lately because every single day I'm around people- we all are. And every single day, like I mentioned before- someone is struggling with something..and odds are, you don't know anything about it.
     This world will do absolutely everything it can to take the good out of you- to drain the light right from your eyes that allows you to see the beauty of life and the beauty in people and it has the ability to leave you feeling washed up and whittled down to nothing. The world knows how to tempt you and how to try you- how to get you talk about the people around you.
     I want you to stop and think about the last time you said something about someone else. Someone you know or someone you don't..and i want you to think about why you did it. Is it because you are that unhappy? Does it really make you feel better? I'll be the first to admit that I used to do those things, and I did them often..and it took me realizing that as a population we underestimate the power that our words hold.
     There is a quote that says something like "people will forget what you did, people will forget what you said, but people will never forget the way you made them feel." We need to play a game of trading places. Take yourself out of your own perfect world that you live in and put yourself in someone else's shoes. That girl that you just called ugly, struggles with an eating disorder. The boy you called names, struggles with suicide contemplation every single day
     Open your eyes to the fact that people are hurting all around you and most of the time they are reaching for help. Stop judging, stop hating, love one another. And in the same way that you shouldn't underestimate harsh words- don't underestimate kind ones. Don't underestimate the power of a smile, a compliment to a stranger- and a hug to your best friend when they're having a bad day. We have to work to live more like Jesus, and he made close friends with tax collectors and the worst of sinners..he puts up with us daily and I know just as well as you do- that we don't deserve that kind of love and forgiveness. 
     So be a light to someone who is in the dark. And in a world that makes it so easy to be mean- stay kind.


"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:31-32

No comments:

Post a Comment